Sodium – Learn all details regarding Sodium in Periodic Table i.e. Atomic Mass, Number, Physical, Chemical properties, Electronic configuration, Valency, Chemical reaction, Uses
Sodium is a alkaline metal . Placed in 1 st group. When sodium is burn in air produce yellow light. In daily life we use sodium salt ( NaCl) in food
Discovery : sodium is discovered by Humphrey Davy in 1807
Name : the name of helium atom is created from English word ‘soda’ .
Physical properties :
1) Atomic symbol: it is represented by the symbol Na
2) Atomic number: atomic no of helium is 11
In helium 11 electron , 11proton , 12 neutron are present 11electron and 11 proton are present in helium atom that’s why atomic no of helium atom is 11
3) Atomic mass : atomic weight of sodium is 22.98 approximately 23 (11proton and 12 neutron are present )
4) Position : it is placed periodic table at 3 row and in 1 column.
5) Boiling point : it is boil at temperature 8820c
6) Melting point : melting point of helium is 99.70 c
7) Colour : sodium show silvery white colour
8) Nature : it is found solid state in nature
9) Taste : it show no test i e. It is testless.
10) Isotopes : sodium atom show fallowing isotopes
22Na : in this isotopes 11 proton and 11 neutron present Atomic mass of this isotope is 22 . It produce ß decay 24Na : in this isotopes 11 proton and 13neutron present . Atomic mass of this isotope is 24
1) Electronic configuration :
Electronic configuration of helium atom is 1S2 2S2 2P6 3S1 Electronic configuration in concert of shell is 2,8, 1 Sodium atom have 11 electron . 12 electron occupy s orbit . After 2 electron occupy s orbit . Later than 6 electron occupy p orbit and remaining 1 electron occupy s orbit
2) Valency : sodium show valency 1 It outer shell contain 1 valence electrons
3) Radius : 190 picometers
4) Stability : it is chemically stable compound.
5) Electronic structure : 2 electron occupy k shell .8 electrons occupy L shell. 1 electron in M Shell
6) Reactivity : it is most reactive element . When it is exposed in air it immediately burn . Hence it is stored in kerosene.
Uses of helium atom :
1) Sodium is use as heat exchanger.
2) Sodium is use as coolant in nuclear reaction
3) In our body sodium is use for the purpose to control blood pressure.
4) It is generally use to make synthetic rubber like nylon 5) It produce yellow light . It is use as sodium lamp
6) It is use to make sodium peroxide
7) It is use as a washing soda (sodium carbonate)
8) It is act as a water softene
Question and Answer:
Q1. Define Sodium
Q2. Who discovered Sodium?
Q2. Physical properties of Sodium
Q4. Write Atomic Symbol of Sodium.
Q5. Write the Atomic number of Sodium.
Q6. On which block Sodium element is present?
Q7. What is the color of Sodium?
Q8. What is the Boiling point of Sodium?
Q9. What is the Melting point of Sodium?
Q10. Write the Isotopes of Sodium.
Q11. Show Electronic configuration of Sodium.
Q12. Write Electronic Structure of Sodium.
Q13. What is the Valency of Sodium?
Q14. Write the uses of Sodium element.