Silicon – Learn all details regarding Silicon in Periodic Table i.e. Atomic Mass, Number, Physical, Chemical properties, Electronic configuration, Valency, Chemical reaction, Uses
Silicon is an Metalloids. It show metal like hard and brittle properties. It is present in earth curst in the combined form like silicon oxide and silicates . 27.7 % present on earth crust. It show tetravalent nature .
Silicon is discovered by Jon’s javob Berzelius in 1824. Origin of name :.
Silicon word is originated from Latin word ‘ silex ‘ or ‘ silicis’ Meaning of silex is flint .
Physical properties :
1) Atomic symbol: atomic symbol of silicon is 14
2) Atomic number: Atomic number of silicon is 14
In silicon 14 proton and 14 electron is present
3) Atomic weight/ mass: Atomic weight of silicon is 28.08 In silicon 14 proton and 14 neutron is present . The sum of proton and neutron gives atomic mass
4) Position : it is place in 14th column ( group ) and 3rd row ( period) It is known as 14 group element It is place below carbon . And between carbon and germanium
It is place in the P block Outer electron place in p block
6) Colour : Pure silicon show Blue grey colour .
7) Odour : it is odourless solid
8) Taste : it is tasteless elements
9) Boiling point : boiling point of silicon is 32650C
10) Melting point : melting point of silicon is 14140C
11) Isotopes: Silicon show three table isotopes
28Si: atomic weight is 27.92 . In this isotopes 14 proton , 14 neutron and 14 electron is present It is present 92% in nature.
29Si :. Atomic weight is 28.97 . In this isotopes 14 proton , 15 neutron and 14 electron is present It is present 4.6% 30Si : Atomic weight is 29.97% . In this isotopes 14 proton , 16 neutron and 14 electron is present It is present 3%
Chemical properties :
1) Electronic configuration:
Electronic configuration of silicon is 1S2 2S2 2P6 3S2 3P2 Electronic configuration in concert of shell is 2,8,4
2) Electronic structure
In silicon 2 electron present in K shell , 8 electrons present in L shell and ,4 electron present in M shell
3) Valency: Valency of silicon is 4
4) Atomic radius: atomic radius of silicon is 111 pm
5) Reactivity: it is non reactive element
1) It is use in semiconductor
2) Silicon use in solar system
3) It is use to make ceramic and glass
4) It is also using to make quartz and mica
5) It is mainly use in electrical device
Question and Answer:
Q1. Define Silicon
Q2. Who discovered Silicon?
Q2. Physical properties of Silicon
Q4. Write Atomic Symbol of Silicon.
Q5. Write the Atomic number of Silicon.
Q6. On which block Silicon element is present?
Q7. What is the color of Silicon?
Q8. What is the Boiling point of Silicon?
Q9. What is the Melting point of Silicon?
Q10. Write the Isotopes of Silicon.
Q11. Show Electronic configuration of Silicon.
Q12. Write Electronic Structure of Silicon.
Q13. What is the Valency of Silicon?
Q14. Write the uses of Silicon element.