Definition of Dysprosium
Dysprosium is inner transition metal place at 9th number in lanthanide series. It is rare earth metal and have high magnetic susceptibility .it is present in earth crust in the form of Xantotime minerals .
It is bright and low toxic.
History about Dysprosium
Discovery : Dysprosium is discovered in 1886 by scientist Paul Emile locoq de Boisbaudran
Origin of name :. The name is derived from Greek word ‘ dyaprositors ‘
Meaning of this word is hard to get
Physical properties of Dysprosium:
Atomic symbol: Atomic symbol of Dysprosium is Dy
Atomic number : Atomic number of Dysprosium is 66
In Dysprosium 66 proton and 66 electron is present
Atomic weight/ mass: Atomic weight of Dysprosium is 162.5 Amu
In Dysprosium 66 proton and 97 neutron is present
Position : it is place in periodic table at 6 row ( period)
And in lanthanide group
Block : it is place in f
Colour :Dysprosium show yellow or yellow green colour
Nature: Dysprosium show solid form in nature
Boiling point :boiling point of Dysprosium is 2567 0C
Melting point :melting point of Dysprosium is 1412 0C
Dysprosium show 6 stable isotope
156Dy: atomic weight of this isotope is 155.9 Amu
In this isotope 66 proton,66 electron and 90 neutron is present
It is present 0.05% in nature
158Dy : atomic weight of this isotope is 157.9 Amu
In this isotope 66 proton, 66 electron and 92 neutron is present
It is present 0.09% in nature
160Dy : atomic weight of this isotope is 159.9 Amu .
In this isotope 66 proton, 66 electron and 94 neutron is present
It is present 2.3 % in nature ..
162Dy: Atomic weight of this isotope is 161.9 Amu
It this isotope 66 proton, 66 electron and 96 neutron is present
It is present 18.8% in nature
163Dy: Atomic weight of this isotope is 162.9 Amu
In this isotope 66 proton, 66 electron and 97 neutron is present
It is present 24.8% in nature
164Dy: atomic weight of this isotope is 163.9 Amu
In this isotope 66 proton, 66 electron and 98 neutron is present
It is present 28.2% in nature
Chemical properties of Dysprosium:
Electronic configuration of Dysprosium is [ Xe ] 4f10 6S2
Electronic configuration in concert of shell is 2,8,18,28,8,2
Valency :valency of Dysprosium is 3
Atomic radius : atomic radius of Dysprosium is 228 Pm
Uses of Dysprosium:
- It’s iodide form use in halide discharge lamp .
- It’s oxide form use in nuclear reactor control rods .
- Dysprosium use in compact disc and hard disc
- It is use in laser material.
- It’s luminescence use to make dosimeter to measure exposure of ionisation radiation
- Dysprosium is use to make electrical car motor and turbine generator
- Dysprosium mixed with cadmium and sulphur use to create beam
Question and Answer:
- Q1. Define Dysprosium
- Q2. Who discovered Dysprosium?
- Q2. Physical properties of Dysprosium
- Q4. Write Atomic Symbol of Dysprosium.
- Q5. Write the Atomic number of Dysprosium.
- Q6. On which block Dysprosium element is present?
- Q7. What is the color of Dysprosium?
- Q8. What is the Boiling point of Dysprosium?
- Q9. What is the MelDysprosiumg point of Dysprosium?
- Q10. Write the Isotopes of Dysprosium.
- Q11. Show Electronic configuration of Dysprosium.
- Q12. Write Electronic Structure of Dysprosium.
- Q13. What is the Valency of Dysprosium?
- Q14. Write the uses of Dysprosium element.