What is tongue?
1) Tongue is a muscular organ present in the mouth in higher living organism.
2) Tongue is pink in colour .
3) It is sensitive and always moist because of saliva present in the mouth.
4) It is one of the sensory organ which sense the taste of substitute.
5) It takes place in the process of digestive system.
6) It helps to teeth in churning and chewing the food.
How can tongue taste the substitute :
The tongue can sense the taste of food because of the presence of taste receptor cells on the tongue .The upper surface of the tongue is like soft palate.On the tongue taste buds are present and the taste buds detect the taste of the food .
The taste is the sensation of the flavour received by mouth .There are four major types of taste is present i.e sweet , salty , bitter , sour , etc.
Taste Buds :
The taste buds sense the taste of food and there are four types of taste which is detected by the different taste buds at different location .The taste are as follows ,
a) Bitter :
The bitter taste is generally detected by the taste buds which are present at the end of the tongue.
The sour taste is generally detected by the taste buds which are present at the side edges of the tongue.
c) Sweet :
The sweet taste is generally detected by the taste buds which are present on the tip portion of the tongue .
The salty taste is generally detected by the taste buds which are present at some on upward tip portion and at the side edges of the tongue.
- Question based on topic :
1) Define Tongue .
2) What is Taste ?
3) How can tongue taste the substitute ?
4) What is the main purpose of tongue ?
5) How many types of taste buds are there ?
6) Explain four taste ?
7) Give the location of taste buds with diagram ?