Direct And Indirect Speech Class 10 English Grammar Odisha Board Solution
Direct And Indirect Speech Class 10 English Grammar Odisha Board Solution Activity Question Answers by Grammar Sir here in this page. Odisha Board 10th Class English Grammar Direct And Indirect Speech Exercise Questions and Answers, Notes BSE Odisha.
Learn and Practice Grammar Class 10 English BSE Odisha Questions Answers have total 11 Activities. Here students of Board of Secondary Education, Odisha Class 10 can solve all their doubts in each questions and prepare for exams.
CHAPTER – X
DIRECT AND INDIRECT SPEECH
Activity – 1
A nationally famous magician has arrived in your city and has presented his performance. His magic show has proved to be amazingly popular. Different local newspapers have given their comments on his performance as follows :
“The show is brilliant,” the Samaj.
“It made me jump up in delight,” the reporters from the Sambad.
“We can’t have a better show,” the Dharitri.
“You’ll love it,” the Dinalipi.
“You shouldn’t miss it,” – the Prajatantra.
“His performance is outstanding,” the Matrubhasa.
Now put their comments in reported speech :
1) The Samaj reported that the show is brilliant.
2) The Sambad reported that it(the show) made him(the reporter) to jump in delight.
3) The Dhariti reported that they can’t have a better show.
4) The Dinalipi reported that you(the readers/audience) will love it.
5) The Prajatantra reported that you shouldn’t miss it.
6) The Matrubhasa reported that his(the magician’s) performance is outstanding.
Activity – 2
Last Sunday you met your cousin Makhan in the morning. Hereunder are some of the things he said to you :
1) “I’d like to go to a good college, but my parents can’t afford to pay the fees”
2) “I’m living with a friend and working part-time”
3) “I’m enjoying my work.”
4) “My friend has got a scholarship for his higher studies.”
5) “I’ll tell my mother about our meeting.”
6) “I want to have my lunch with you.”
Report the conversation to your mother the next day using indirect speech :
1) Makhan said to me that he would like to go to good school, but his parents can’t afford to pay the fees.
2) He said that he is living with a friend and working part-time.
3) He added saying that he is enjoying his work.
4) He told me that his friend has got a scholarship for his higher studies.
5) He said that he would tell his mother about our meeting.
6) He said that he wanted to have his lunch with me.
Activity – 3
Rewrite the following statements in Indirect Speech :
1) Rakhal said, “I shall never forget my childhood days.”
Answer:Rakhal said that he would never forget his childhood days.
2) The children said, “We play football everyday.”
Answer: The children said that they play football every day.
3) The man said, “The house is on fire.”
Answer: The man said that the house is on fire.
4) She says, “I don’t like sweets.”
Answer: She says that she does not like sweets.
5) The guide said, “Puri is famous for the temple of Lord Jagannath.”
Answer: The guide said that Puri is famous for the temple of Lord Jagannath.
6) The teacher said, “The earth moves round the sun.”
Answer: The teacher said that the earth moves round the sun.
7) Father said, “Spring comes after winter.”
Answer: Father said that spring comes after winter.
8) He has said, “My son is going to hospital for treatment.”
Answer: He said that his son is going to hospital for treatment.
Activity – 4
Rewrite the following in indirect speech :
(i) Rabi said to me, “I know where you were born.”
Answer: Rabi said to me that she knows where I was born.
(ii) Father said, “Morning is at six today.”
Answer: Father said that morning was at six that day.
(iii) She said, “I’ll help you in the hour of your need.”
Answer: She said that she would help (me) in the hour of (my) need.
(iv) He said, “I collected these pebbles at the seashore.”
Answer: He said that he had collected the pebbles at the seashore.
(v) I said to him, “You didn’t keep fit last year.”
Answer: I said to him that he hadn’t kept fit the previous year.
(vi) The teacher said to me, “You must work hard for your examination.”
Answer: The teacher said to me that I must work hard for my examination.
(vii) The doctor said to me, “You mustn’t smoke”.
Answer: The doctor said to me that I mustn’t smoke.
(viii) Sushil said, “We celebrate our Republic Day on 26th January every year ?”
Answer: Sushil said that we celebrate our Republic Day on 26th January every year.
(ix) He said, “I was playing the violin every morning last year.”
Answer: He said that he was playing the violin every morning the previous year.
(x) He said, “These are my toys.”
Answer: He said that the toys are his.
Activity – 5
The wedding of your sister has just been over. Your friend Mahesh asks you a lot of questions about the bridegroom. Now report, in indirect speech, the questions Mahesh asked you.
(i) What is the name of your sister’s husband ?
(ii) What is he doing ?
(iii) Where is he posted at present ?
(iv) Has he ever been abroad ?
(v) How long did he stay there ?
(vi) Has he ever gone to Australia ?
(vii) What salary does he get ?
(viii) Will his salary increase next year ?
1) Mahesh asked me what the name of my sister’s husband was.
2) Mahesh then wanted to know what he was doing.
3) Mahesh further enquired where he(sister’s husband) was posted at that time.
4) Mahesh wanted to know if he(sister’s husband) had ever been to abroad.
5) Mahesh enquired for how long he had stayed there.
6) Mahesh wondered if he (sister’s husband) had ever gone to Australia.
7) He also wondered if his (sister’s husband) salary would increase the following year.
Activity – 6
Suppose your father is a retired headmaster of a high school, The Director, Doordarshan Centre, Bhubaneswar, invited him on the Teacher’s Day to give a message to the students. The Programme Assistant asked him the following questions. Report them in indirect speech :
(i) Why is this day observed in the whole of India ?
(ii) What difference do you mark between the education imparted now and that which was imparted at your time ?
(iii) What is your impression on the teachers working at present and those who were working at your time ?
(iv) Do you think that the system of education has improved a lot ?
(v) Haven’t the students become more knowledgeable than before ?
(vi) Has their conduct changed for the better ?
(vii) Will they grow into good citizens of our country ?
(viii) What message do you have for the students of our country ?
i) The director asked why this day is observed in the whole of India.
ii) He wanted to know the difference in the education imparted now and that which was imparted at his time(father’s time)
iii) He further wanted to know his (father’s) impression on the teachers working at present and those who were working at his time.
iv) He asked if he (father) thought that the system of education has improved a lot.
v) He wondered if the students have become more knowledgeable than before.
vi) He wanted to know if their conduct has changed for the better.
vii) He further asked if they would grow into good citizens of our country.
viii) He finally asked what message he has for the students of our country.
Activity – 7 Turn into indirect speech :
(i) “Consult a doctor immediately,” he said to me.
Answer: He advised me to consult a doctor immediately.
(ii) “Hurry up, or you will miss the train,” he said to me.
Answer: He asked me to hurry up or I would miss the train.
(iii) “Don’t get addicted to tea,” he said to me.
Answer: He advised me not to get addicted to tea.
(iv) “Your mouth smells foul. Don’t open it,” he said.
Answer: He asked me not to open my mouth as it smells foul.
(v) The captain said, “Hurrah ! We have scored two goals !”
Answer: The captain exclaimed with happiness that they had scored two goals.
(vi) The General said, “Bravo ! You have done wonders !”
Answer:The General exclaimed praising( with happiness) that he had done wonders.
(vii) The teacher said to Nirmal, “What a lazy boy you are !”
Answer: The teacher exclaimed in sorrow that Niramal was a lazy boy.
(viii) My friend said to me, “How nice of you to have come !”
Answer: My friend told me that it was nice of me to come.
(ix) The traveller said, “Farewell, friends.”
Answer: The traveler bid farewell to friends.
(x) The beggar, “Oh, for a morsel of food !”
Answer: The beggar exclaimed in sorrow that he wanted to have a morsel of food.
(xi) “If only I had the wings of a dove !” he said.
Answer: He exclaimed that he wished he had the wings of a dove.
Activity – 8
“Are you leaving today ?” Maggie asked, “Yes”, I replied, “Today is the day of my departure.”
“How long will it take to reach your country ? In which part of the country do youlive ?” She wanted to know. I replied, “Punjab, in the west.”
“Please, put a flower on my brother’s grave, “She requested me with tears in hereyes.
Answer: Maggie asked me if I was leaving that day. I said yes. I told her that day was the day of my departure.
She wanted to know how long it would take to reach my country and in which part of the country I lived. I told her that I live in Punjab, in the West.
She requested me with sadness/sorrow to put a flower on her brother’s grave.