Tamilnadu Board Samacheer Kalvi 9th English Prose Solutions Chapter 7: Tamilnadu State Board Solution Class 9 English Chapter 7 Prose – A Birthday Letter.
Samacheer Kalvi 9th English Prose Solutions Chapter 7: Overview
|Chapter Name||A Birthday Letter|
Samacheer Kalvi Class 9th Prose A Birthday Letter Question Answer Solution
A BIRTHDAY LETTER
1) From which prison did Nehru write this letter?
Answer: Nehru wrote this letter from Central Prison, Naini.
2) Did Nehru send any presents to Indira?
Answer: No, Nehru didn’t send any presents to Indira.
3) Which historical character inspired young Indira?
Answer: Historcial character Joan of Arc inspired young Indira.
4) What helps the ordinary men and women to become heroes?
Answer: History helps the ordinary men and women to become heroes.
5) Who is addressed as ‘Bapuji’?
Answer: Mahatma Gandhi is addressed as ‘’Bapuji.’’
6) What should the soldiers of India respect?
Answer: The soldiers of India should respect India’s honour which is a sacred trust.
A) Answer the following questions in one or two sentences.
1) Why could not Nehru send any presents to Indira?
Answer: Since Nehru was in prison, he could not send any present to Indira.
2) What cannot be stopped even by the high walls of prisons?
Answer: Mind and spirit cannot be stopped even by the high walls of prisons.
3) Why did Nehru dislike sermonizing?
Answer: Nehru believed in talking and discussing and finding out what is right and wrong through it. So Nehru disliked sermonizing.
4) What does history tell us?
Answer: History tells us about great periods in the life of nations, great men and women.
5) What do ordinary men and women usually think of?
Answer: Ordinary men and women usually think of their bread and butter, of their children, of their household worries and such other problems.
6) When do ordinary men and women become heroes?
Answer: When ordinary men and women come as whole and take in interest in a great cause then in this way they become heroes.
7) What does the phrase ‘great drama’ refer to?
Answer: India’s freedom struggle is referred to ‘great drama’ here.
8) Why are the freedom fighters under Gandhi not afraid of anything?
Answer: Under Gandhiji’s leadership there is no room for secrecy and hiding so freedom fighters are not afraid of anything.
B) Answer the following in about 80 – 100 words each.
1) Explain the important elements of Nehru’s letter.
Answer: When Nehru was in prison he started writing letters to his daughter Indira. When she turned 13 he started writing detailed letters. He wanted to give her gifts but as he was in prison he could not send it. He didn’t like giving a sermon rather he believed in talking and discussing and finding out what is right and what is wrong. He told her about how history teaches us about great men and women. He states that ordinary people think about their children and about their everyday problems. But when these ordinary people come together for a great cause then they become heroes. They create history. When India was in freedom struggle and creating history, Nehru feels lucky that he and his daughter are witness of the great drama. He advises her to brave and not to hide anything. He gives example of Bapuji to tell her how there should not be any secrecy and hiding. Nehur’s letter was advice that would change her perspective and make her an unordinary woman.
C) Match the words with correct Synonym and Antonym from the table.
D) Identify, whether the following statements are of OPINION or FACT
1) On your birthday you have been in the habit of receiving presents and good wishes. (Opinion/Fact)
2) I have liked my talks with you. (Opinion/Fact)
3) The best way to find what is wrong and right is by discussing. (Opinion/Fact)
4) A letter can hardly take the place of a talk. (Opinion/Fact)
5) For the desire to hide anything means that you are afraid. (Opinion/Fact)
E) *Listen to the dialogue and answer the following questions.
1) Aadhav and Raghav are brothers.
brothers b. friends c. colleagues d. classmates
2) The brothers are planning to celebrate their parents’ wedding anniversary.
uncle’s b. parents’ c. grandparents’ d. sister’s
3) The wedding anniversary is on April 2nd.
a) March 2nd April 2nd c. May 2nd d. June 2nd
4) As part of the celebration, the brothers have planned to make their parents to plant a mango sapling.
a) visit an orphanage b. donate some money
c) plant a mango sapling conduct a game
5) State whether the statement is true or false.
The brothers have decided to borrow money for the wedding anniversary celebration.
F) Answer the following questions based on the given reading passage.
1) What is the name of her diary?
Answer: The name of her diary is Kitty.
2) Why did Anne want to exchange the book ‘Camera Obscura’?
Answer: Anne’s sister had already got the book, she Anne wanted to exchange the book ‘Camera Obscura.
3) Who baked the homemade cookies?
Answer: Anne baked the homemade cookies.
4) What game did Anne choose to play?
Answer: Anne chose to play volleyball.
5) Which gift did Anne value the most?
Answer: The dairy was Anne’s most valued gift.
H) Write a meaningful paragraph using the hints given below.
Mahesh celebrated his 14th birthday at an old-age home. He celebrated his birthday with his family and friends. His family had informed home in advanced to delegate tasks. His friends bought necessary things. They arrived home early to decorate place with balloons and color papers. The inmates were gathered and Mahesh cut the cake. They sang the birthday song and clapped. He distributed cakes to everybody and expressed his feelings. He got blessings from them. He offered them things like bedsheets, footwear, etc. He had fun time with lot of entertainment. He was happy and content with the kind of birthday he had.
A) Choose the Correct Determiner
1) Could you bring me those tools I left in the garden? (this, those, these)
2) The Earth revolves around the sun. (the, a, an)
3) I found aone rupee coin in the playground while playing. (a, an, the)
4) There aren’t many students in the library. (much, many, a lot)
5) It was an unforgettable experience. (a, an, the)
6) I haven’t got any pictures in my bedroom. (some, any, many)
7) He said that he wanted to become an engineer. (a, an, the)
8) Kokila gave a pen to each child in the classroom on her birthday. (any, all, each)
9) I’ve got to solve all math problems before I go to sleep. (all, some, any)
10) India is the largest democracy in the world. (a, an, the)
11) My father doesn’t drink much coffee. (much, many, a lot)
12) I always keep some money in my wallet for emergencies. (any, every, some)
13) This year we are celebrating my sister’s second birthday. (a, two, second)
14) I have three pencils with me. (a, three, third)
15) ‘What is that noise?’ I think it is anaeroplane. (a, an, the)
B) Observe the following call-outs. Reporter (C) has reported the sentences of Speaker (A). Now, help Reporter (C) report the rest of the sentences of Speaker (A).
1) He said that he won’t go to the party.
2) She asked when did you come.
3) He warned you not to touch the wire.
4) You’re welcome- He said that you are welcomed.
5) Open the door- You are requested to open the door.
C) Report the following sentences.
1) Pushpa said, “Do not spoil the eco-system.”
Answer: Pushpa advised no to spoil the eco-system.
2) Ebin said, “Have you booked the tickets to Delhi?”
Answer: Ebin asked if I had booked the tickets to Delhi.
3) Rehman said to Tilak, “When are we leaving to our native?”
Answer: Rehman enquired Tilak when they were leaving to their native.
4) Maha said, “Lakshan, you should get up early in the morning.”
Answer: Maha advised Lakshan to get up early in the morning.
5) Gladin said to his mother, “Can you, please, buy me a hot-chocolate?”
Answer: Gladin requested his mother to buy him a hot-chocolate.
6) “Tomorrow I have to take a test in English”, said Sudha.
Answer: Sudha said that she had to take a test in English the next day.
7) Amali said to her sister, “I need your help to arrange the books in the shelf.”
Answer: Amali asked her sister to help her arrange the books in the shelf.
8) “Why don’t you use crayons for colouring?” said Prabhu to his son.
Answer: Prabhu advised his sonto use crayons for coloring.