Maharashtra Board Class 6 Science Solution Chapter 7 – Nutrition and Diet
Balbharati Maharashtra Board Class 6 Science Solution Chapter 7: Nutrition and Diet. Marathi or English Medium Students of Class 6 get here Nutrition and Diet full Exercise Solution.
|Maharashtra Class 6|
Nutrition and Diet
1.) Fill in the blanks.
a) The process of intake of food and utilising it for all life processes is called nutrition.
b) All the substances in our food which are useful for various bodily processes are called nutrients.
c) Carbohydrates and fats provide energy to our body.
d) In a balanced diet, all the nutrients are present in the right
e) In the food pyramid, cereals are given the maximum space because they fulfil our nutritional
f) Intake of more food then necessary causes
2.) Spot the following in the table of vitamins and minerals.
a.) The nutrient present in citrus fruits.
Citrus fruits are a very good source of Vitamin C.
- Vitamin C helps in protecting the body tissues.
- It also helps in collagen formation. Collagen is the primary structural protein that is necessary for gums, teeth ,bones and skin.
b.) Vitamin / minerals present in milk.
Milk and milk products are rich source of Vitamin A , Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D.
- Vitamin A helps in protecting the eyes. It also helps to maintain healthy skin and keep the bones and teeth in a healthy condition.
- Vitamin B1 helps in proper functioning of the nervous system, brain and heart.
- Vitamin B12 is essential to form red blood cells.
- Vitamin D plays an important role in absorbing calcium and phosphorus which is essential for maintaining healthy bones and teeth.
c.) Causes and symptoms of night blindness ,scurvy, rickets, beriberi.
Causes of night blindness
- Night blindness is caused due to the lack of vitamin A.
Symptoms of night blindness
- People who are suffering from night blindness usually faces difficulty in seeing in dim light.
Causes of scurvy
- Scurvy is caused due to the deficiency of Vitamin C.
Symptoms of scurvy
- Bleeding gums or tooth loss are some of the symptoms of scurvy.
Causes of Rickets
- Rickets is caused due to the lack of vitamin D.
Symptoms of Rickets
- Rickets usually refers to a condition, where the bones become soft and fragile and is often subjected to fractures. People who are suffering from this condition may also experience pain in their bones.
Causes of beriberi
- Beriberi is caused due to the deficiency of Vitamin B1.
Symptoms of beriberi
- People who are suffering from beriberi may experience neurological disorder.
d.) Foods required to prevent the above diseases.
- Night blindness- Carrot, milk ,butter , dark green vegetables, sweet potato, deep yellow fruits and vegetables are the essential foods that are required to avert night blindness.
- Scurvy –Amla, kiwi, oranges and other citrus fruits, cabbage, tomato and green leafy vegetables are the necessary foods that are required to avoid scurvy.
- Rickets –One’s diet should include foods that contains rich source of vitamin D which will help in preventing the condition of rickets. Milk ,fish ,eggs and butter are some of the foods that contains excellent source of vitamin D. Sun acts as an important source of vitamin D, which is a vital nutrient for the body.
- Beriberi –Milk ,fish ,meat , cereals, nuts and pulses are some of the essential foods that helps in preventing the condition of beriberi.
e.) Causes of anaemia.
Anaemia is mainly caused due to the deficiency of iron in the body. Iron is an essential mineral that is required for the production of red blood cells or hemoglobin.
f.) Essential mineral for healthy bones and teeth.
Vitamin D acts as an essential mineral that is required for maintaining healthy bones and teeth.
a) Sensory organ affected due to the deficiency of Vitamin A.
Eyes are mainly affected due to the deficiency of Vitamin A. As, Vitamin A plays a crucial role in protecting our eyes.
3.) Choose the correct alternative.
a.) Pulses are a very good source of proteins.
1) carbohydrates 2) proteins 3) fats 4) minerals
Cereals provide maximum energy to the body.
1) Cereals 2) Leafy vegetables 3) Water 4) Amla
c.) Goitre is caused by a deficiency of the mineral iodine.
1) iron 2) calcium 3) iodine 4) potassium
Chocolate is a type of junk food.
1.) Orange 2) Milk 3) Bhakri4) Chocolate
4.) Use the food pyramid to select food items of your choice for three days .
1.) The diet for all three days should be balanced.
2.) There should be variety in the items chosen for the three days.