IGNOU Bachelor’s Degree in Library and Information Science Admission 2023
IGNOU offers a bachelor degree course in library and information for graduate students. The course was started first by IGNOU in 1989 for fulfilling the demands in the sector of library science and information science. We require trained human resource in libraries, information centres, documentation centres across the country for improving these sectors. It will be beneficial at our end to get services from trained professionals on whom we can rely on completely. IGNOU has designed this degree course in library and information science with updated facilities and knowledge. There has been numerous changes and development within library science over the past years. With the development in communication and technology, major development has been brought in library science too. So, IGNOU has researched over the present requirements of a modern librarian and designed the course in it. Candidates who have interest in pursuing career over library science and communication can definitely choose this course for better opportunities. They must follow this entire article to get an overview about the course.
Course Duration & fees:
- Candidates search for course duration before choosing any course as per their interests. IGNOU bachelor’s degree course programme in library and information science takes minimum 1 year and maximum 2 years of time. IGNOU frames course duration with extra time limit as exams can be delayed for unavoidable circumstances. So, students can expect and be prepared to finish their degree course within 2 years.
- Fees: Course fee for the entire course in library and information science is Rs. 7900 as constructed by IGNOU.
At first, there is no minimum and maximum age limit to enrol the degree source of IGNOU library and information science. Candidates must have to be completed their graduation degree from any recognised university with minimum 50% marks for general candidates and 45% marks for SC/ST/OBC candidates. Candidates with bachelor degree of one year in library science are also eligible to apply for this course. Candidates having bachelor degree in any stream with two years of working experience as librarian or in any library and information centre are eligible for this course. Candidates having any one of this qualifications are eligible for this course.
Syllabus and exam pattern:
There are total nine courses under BLIS degree programme which are library information and society, information sources and services, organising and managing information, ICT fundamentals, communication skills, management of library and information centre, document processing: practice, information products and services and ICT in libraries. All the courses are in theory except ICT fundamentals, document processing: practice and ICT libraries which include both theory and practical sections. The examination of BLIS has two components like continuous evaluation carrying 30% marks and term end examination carrying 70% marks. Continuous evaluation means the assignments that students are given to complete during course. TEE is conducted twice every year in which student can appear after completing exactly one year from their registration date. Candidates need to secure 40% marks in both CE and TEE exam of BLIS course. Candidates securing 60% and above marks pass in division I, 50% and above pass in division II and with 40% and above they get division pass. Students will get audio-visual programmes too to learn with practical experience in their BLIS course.
Candidates will get study materials of all nine courses included in their BLIS course. Along with this they will get records of audio-visual learning programmes which will help them in self-learning session. The counsellor will guide students to go through all topics with ease and understand the difficult areas.
There are various reasons which make BLIS course of IGNOU unique from others. The significant reasons are given below:
- There is no minimum or maximum age limit for which candidates at any stage can enrol this course.
- The course takes minimum one year to complete so candidates do not need to invest much time.
- Candidates get updated study materials with all modern equipment and facilities which guide and prepare them to understand present library science.
- Students can choose any study centre for this course as per their convenience.
- They can choose any exam time and schedule after completing one year.
- Students get help from audio-visual programmes besides their theory study materials.
- Students learn answer writing style and marking scheme from their assignments of continuous evaluation.
- How many courses are there in BLIS course programme of IGNOU?
Answer. There are total nice courses covering all required areas of library, communication science and technology in IGNOU BLIS course.
- What is the minimum academic qualification to be eligible for BLIS course?
Answer. Students have to graduate from any recognised university along with working experience in library for applying in this course.