Every three dimensional object possesses volume in space. Volume is space occupied by the object in three dimension. According to the dimension of body it occupies the different volumes.
In real life we daily go through the concepts of volume. There are some specific geometrical shapes like cube, cone, cylinder, sphere which are having their fixed volume. By using these basic shapes volume we can find the volume of any body.
Volume is measured in cubic units i.e. meter cube, centimeter cube or in litre also.
Not only solids, but also liquids and gases possesses volume in which shape of object we have poured them.
- If we have a pot which is spherical in shape and we have to fill it by water, then what amount of water would be required? This can be solved by finding the volume of that spherical pot.
- If we are drinking water daily by water bottle and if we have to know what amount of water we has drunk daily. Then first we have to know the volume of that water bottle which is cylindrical in shape.
- We have an air balloon, it has also specific volume and the gas filled inside it occupies the volume of that balloon.
Following are the some three dimensional geometrical shapes with their volume:
Volume of Cube:
- Cube is the three dimensional object as shown in figure which is special cuboid having length, breadth and height and all are equal for cube and having 6 faces.
- Let a be the side of cube then the volume of cube is given by,
- Volume of cube = a3
Volume of Cuboid:
- The cuboid is the three dimensional figure as shown in figure having six faces and having length, breadth and height also which are all different in length also.
- If l is length, b is the breadth and h is the height of the cuboid then its volume is given by,
- Volume of cuboid = l*b*h
Volume of Cylinder:
- It is the solid bounded by a cylindrical surface and two parallel planes.
- If r is the radius of circular base of the cylinder and h is the height of the cylinder then its volume is given by,
- Volume of cylinder = area of spherical base*height= π*r2*h
Volume of Cone:
- The cone is the three dimensional figure having flat surface as well as curved surface pointed towards the top as shown in figure.
- If r is the radius of circular base of cone, l is the slant height of the cone and h if the height of the cone then the volume of cone is given by,
- Volume of cone = 1/3 π*r2*h
Volume of Sphere:
- Sphere is three dimensional geometrical figure having surface area and volume like a ball.
- If r is the radius of sphere then the volume of sphere is given by,
- Volume of sphere = 4/3*π*r3
- And the volume of hemisphere is given by,
- Volume of hemisphere = 2/3* π*r3