Surface area of a Cube
- Cube is the three-dimensional object as shown in figure which is special cuboid having length, breadth and height all in equal magnitude. Hence cube has 6 square surfaces, 8 vertices or corners, 12 edges and 4 diagonals as shown in figure.
Derivation for Surface area of Cube:
- As we know that, cube has 6 square surfaces as shown in figure. Let us consider cube with side having length a then to find the surface area of cube we have to add the surface area of all 6 square surfaces.
- The following figure shows the cube having side length a. when we open the cube totally then it looks like the structure shown in figure below.
- We know that, the surface area of square = side2 = a2
- But cube has total 6 square surfaces so total surface area of cube will be the sum of all 6 square faces of cube.
Total surface area of cube = sum of surface area of all 6 square surfaces of cube
The surface area of cube having side length a is given by,
Surface area of cube = 6*a2