Tamilnadu Board Samacheer Kalvi 10th English Prose Solutions Chapter 5: Tamilnadu State Board Solution Class 10 English Chapter 5 Prose – Tech Bloomers.
Samacheer Kalvi 10th English Prose Solutions Chapter 5: Overview
|Chapter Name||Tech Bloomers|
Samacheer Kalvi Class 10th Prose Tech Bloomers Question Answer Solution
(a) What is the future of technology?
Answer: The future of technology is going to be more advanced and will make many things easy.
(b) How many people in India suffer with disability?
Answer: 2.7 crore people in India suffer with disability.
(c) Who is Kim?
Answer: Kim is the Assistive Technologist at Alisha’s school.
(d) How does Kim help Alisha?
Answer: Kim introduced Alisha to Dragon Dictate and helped her get trained in it.
(e) Why is technology important according to David?
Answer: According to David, technology is important because it enables him to communicate and be independent that gives him freedom.
(f) Which instrument does David control with his eye movements?
Answer: David uses a Liberator Communication Device, which he controls with his eye movements.
(g) What devices help David to move from one place to other?
Answer: Devices called ECO2 with ECO point help David to move from one place to other.
(A) Answer the following questions in two or three sentences.
(1) What are the benefits of the internet to the common man?
Answer: There are several benefits of the internet. It is one of the most important sources of information. With the help of internet there are many thing that have become easy for the common man like bank transaction, booking tickets, etc. Technology impacts the environment, people and the society as a whole.
(2) Do you think technology has improved communication? How?
Answer: Yes, technology has improved communication. E-mail and such advanced technological things have improved communication. In this lesson we get to know technology has made specially abled ones lives better. Alisha who suffers from cerebral palsy uses a piece of technology called Dragon Dialect for communication.
(3) How does David operate computers with the Liberator Communication Device?
Answer: David controls Liberator Communication Device with his eye movements
(4) Which devices are controlled using ACTIV controller?
Answer: TV, Blu- Ray and music players are controlled using ACTIV controller.
(5) Who says these words: “I want everyone to know the difference technology has made in mylife”?
Answer: The above words are said by Alisha.
(6) Which software helps Alisha to overcome her difficulty in typing?
Answer: Dragon Dictate is the software that helps Alisha to overcome her difficulty in typing.
(7) Name a few Indian innovations which are helpful to the disabled and make their day to daylife easier
Answer: Lechal Shoes, Blee Watch and IGEST are a few Indian innovations which are helpful to the disabled and make their day to day life easier.
(8) Is it possible to control the computer screen with eye gaze?
Answer: Yes, it is possible to control the computer screen with eye gaze. In other words it means that we are reading we can move from page to page using the pupils of our eyes. We don’t need to press a button or anything.
(9) Suggest ways of making our society inclusive.
Answer: With the proper use and implementation of technology for differently abled people we can make our society inclusive.
(10) How would you help the people with disabilities in your neighborhood?
Answer: I would tell them about various things gadgets that are useful for them.
(B) Answer in a paragraph of about 100–150 words.
(1) How do we use technology in our day to day lives?
Answer: Technology is one of the most important things in modern times. We use technology in our everyday lives for many reasons. It is something that keeps changing and new version is being presented in front of us. Earlier there were not so many communication options, but now thanks to technology, we have number of options available for communicating with people. We can get any information in just one click/tap at the comfort of our home only because of technology. Not only does it play vital role at an individual level but also it is helpful at a societal level. From use of mobile phones to kitchen appliances, technology has become an integral part of our lives.
(2) “Technology is a boon to the disabled”. Justify.
Answer: In this chapter we get to know how technology is blessing for the disabled ones. Alisha who suffers from cerebral palsy cannot physically type. But it is because of technology her life has become much easier. She uses a piece technology named Dragon Dictate in which she speaks and the spoken words appear on the screen and she prints them. It is because of technology she has opened up to the world. David is also a differently able boy who uses Liberator Communication Device for his verbal communication that he controls with his eye movement. He also has an ACTIV controller in the headrest of his chair in his bedroom, which means he can control his TV, Blu- Ray and music players. David can now communicate only with the help of technology. In this way we can see how technology has been blessing for the ones who never any source of communication.
(C) Pick out the contractions from the lesson and expand them.
(D) Expand the following abbreviations or acronyms
(1) SIM – Subscriber Identification Module
(2) ISRO –Indian Space Research Organization
(3) WHO – World Health Organization
(4) CCTV – Closed-Circuit Television
(5) HDMI –High-Definition Multimedia Interface
(5) LASER -Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation
(6) MRI -Magnetic Resonance Imaging
(7) CRY –Child Rights and You
(8) RAM – Random Access Memory
(9) ROM – Read Only Memory
(10) CPU –Central Processing Unit
(11) ALU-Arithmetic Logic Unit
(E) Complete the sentences with the correct abbreviations or acronyms from the given list.
(1) My dad wakes up very early in the morning because he has to be at work at 6.00 a.m..
(2) Socrates, the famous Classical Greek Athenian philosopher, died in 399 BCE.
(3) Leonardo Da Vinci was a famous Italian polymath, a painter, a sculptor, an architect, a musician, a scientistetc..
(4) I usually return home from work at 10.30 p.m..
(5) John downloaded a clip from YouTube in HD quality.
(6) There are many irregular verbs in the English language, e.gbreak, do, make.
(7) I’m watching a great football match, Barcelona vs Real Madrid.
(8) Humans who dive without protection can survive 300 m under water.
(9) A 11-year-old girl just beat Einstein on an IQ test.
(10) We used the GPS facility to track the location.
(F) Listen to the passage and state whether the statements are true (T), false (F) or no information (N)? True False No Information
(1) Santhiya can’t live without her mobile phone. False
(2) She got her mobile in January. No Information
(3) Her parents bought her the mobile phone one year ago. False
(4) There’s a calculator in her mobile. True
(5) She can connect to the Internet on her mobile. True
(6) She usually listens to music on her mobile. False
(7) She can’t read emails on her mobile. False
(8) There are often a lot of problems with mobile phones. True
(9) Santhiya always talks on her mobile to her friends. No Information
(10) She doesn’t like mobile phones. False
(G) Listen to the passage again and answer the questions.
(1) Where does Santhiya keep her mobile?
Answer: Santhiya keeps her mobile either in bag or in her pocket.
(2) What can she use it for?
Answer: She uses it for calculation, read news or e-mails.
(3) When was she cycling?
Answer: She was cycling last year on a holiday.
(4) What happened there?
Answer: Her friend fell off her bike and broke her leg.
(5) How did Santhiya solve the problem?
Answer: Santhiya solved the problem by calling a doctor for help.
(H) Complete the sentences after reading the passage.
(1) Santhiya’s parents and friends can always call her.
(2) Her mobile phone is also a kind of information file.
(3) On the cycling holiday after the accident Santhiya phoned for help.
(4) Mobile phones often ring at the wrong moment.
(5) Children can feel safe when they have their mobile phones with them.
(J) Read the comic strip and answer the following questions.
(1) What do you mean by cyber safety?
Answer: Cyber safety refers to the secure use of internet.
(2) How do you behave in a virtual platform?
Answer: In a virtual platform everybody belong to different values, places, etc and we need to respect them.
(3) Can we read and access the information free of cost?
Answer: Yes, we can read and access the information free of cost.
(4) Do you think that all the information online can be used without any permission?
Answer: No, all the information online cannot be used without any permission. Sometimes we need to take permission for certain information.
(5) Which website do you often access? Why?
Answer: I usually visit educational website.
EXERCISE (K) Fill in the missing words in this email.
In response to your mail, I have prepared a project for the Science Fest. Please find attached the same for your kind perusal. I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely
(L) Write an email to your teacher about the interesting English model that you have prepared for the literary fest.
Subject-Presentation of model literary fest
I am sending this mail in response to your announcement of literary fest. I have prepared an interesting model which is based on Shakespear’s famous models. I have attached both pdf and word files of the model. I request you to go through it and let me know your opinion and corrections regarding it. Awating in response. I look forward to hearing from you.
(M) PRACTICE EXERCISE
You are the receptionist of your school. Your Head master instructs you to send a message to all the parents of class ten to attend a PTA (Parent Teacher Association) meet which is to be held on 22.12.2019
|18. December 2019
Parents of class x students are requested to attend Parents Teacher Association meet. The meeting will be held on 22 December 2019 at 11.a.m in the school auditorium. The meeting is compulsory.
(A) Write the words that can replace Ravi, Rani, woman, luggage and the dog when we use them for the second and subsequent times in the passageHe, she,she, it and it.
These words are calledPronouns.
(B) Fill in the gaps with personal pronouns.
Kumaravel lives in Thiruvannamalai. He is a doctor. All the people like him because of his helping nature. His hospital is located at Car street and most of his patients are poor so he does not charge much money. His daughter goes to school. She studies in 5th Standard. Her teachers love her very much.Her friends are also very good. They always encourage her.They have given her good advice. Her mother is also a teacher. She always encourages her to keep studying. I also like her as she often comes to my house. One day she told my mother that she wants to learn cooking. My mother taught her cooking. Now, she cooks well.
(C) Fill in the gaps with appropriate Pronouns.
(1) It is an excellent opportunity.
(2) One of these two students can solve this question.
(3) These books have been written by a great Indian writer.
(4) We have come to know the truth.
(5) Some of the students have passed the exam.
(6) Fewof your friends can guide you.
(7) This is your story based on your real life.
(8) All your friends will guide you.
(9) Oneof his family members would come to visit you.
(10) Some of those books will be helpful to you.
(11) This is your bag, you can take it anytime.
(12) He himself is responsible for the downfall of his life.
(D) Join the sentences using ‘ Relative Pronouns’.
(1) I have book which is written by Rabindranath Tagore.
(2) Kavita is my teacher who teaches us English.
(3) This is Varuwhose father is an architect.
(4) She invited most of her friends. They attended the party.
Most of her friends attended the party whom she had invited.
(5) Give me a pen to write a letter whichwas gifted to you on your birthday.
(6) I have sold the house which was located at the bank of a river.
(7) Here is your watch which has been found in the garden.
(E) Read the different verb forms where they remain the same in the direct and indirect speech in the following cases.
Fill in the blanks with missing indirect speech.
(1) If the reporting verb is in the present tense.
I will never go to work.
Kavi says that she will never to work.
(2) When we report a universal truth (something that is always true)
(2) People in Africa are starving.
Alisha said that people in Africa are starving.
(3) With modal verbs would, might, could, should, ought to, used to.
(3) I would try it.
Vinoth said that he would try to come.
(4) With would rather, had better
(4) They had better go.
Sophia said that they had better go.
(5) In if-clauses and time-clauses
(5) When I was staying in Madurai I met my best friend.
Jaheer said that when he was staying in Madurai he had met his best friend.
(6) We do not usually change the modal verbs must and needn’t. But must can become had to or would have to and needn’t can become didn’t have to or wouldn’t have to if we want to express an obligation. Would/wouldn’t have to are used to talk about future obligations.
(6) We must do it in June.
He said that they must do that in June.
(F) Read the following dialogue and report it.
Johnson asked Suganthi what was she doing there. And he said that he had not seen her since June. Suganthi explained that she had just come back from her holiday in Ooty. Johnson wondered if she had enjoyed it. Suganthi told him that she loved Ooty and that the were people so friendly. Johnson wanted to know if she had been to the Coakers Walk. Suganthi said that it was her first trip and that she could some pictures. And then she asked him if he was doing anything the next day. Johnson explained that he had to arrange a couple of things. But he added that he would be free at night. Suganthi suggested that he might come to her place and asked him at what time they would meet. Johnson said he would be there at eight. And finally he asked if it was all right.
(G) Tick the right choice (Indirect Speech).
(1) “Who took my English book?”
He was curious to know who had taken his English book.
(2) “Where does Helen live?”
Jim wants to know where Helen lives.
(3) “Why do volcanoes erupt?”
She wondered why volcanoes erupted.
(4) “Do you know why she is unhappy?”
He asked me if I knew why she was unhappy
(5) “How many photos have you got?”
He wants to know how many photos I have got.