Polonium ( Po )
Define: Polonium is semi metal place in below Tellurium and in oxygen family . It is highly reactive element . It is toxic due to radioactivity.
Discovery : polonium is discovered in 1898 by Marie Curie and Pierre Curie .
Origin of name : The name polonium gives after Poland . Poland is the country of Marie Curie.
Physical properties :
Atomic symbol: Atomic symbol of polonium Po
Atomic number : Atomic number of polonium is 84
In polonium 84 proton and 84 electron is present
Atomic weight/ mass: Atomic weight of polonium is 209.98 Pm
In polonium 84 proton and 125 neutron is present
Position : it is place in periodic table at 6th period( row ) and 16th group ( column )
Block : polonium place in p block
Colour : polonium show silver colour
Nature : polonium present in solid state
Boiling point :boiling point of Polonium is 952 0C
Melting point : Melting point of polonium is 2540 C
Isotopes: polonium show 2 stable isotopes
- 209Po: atomic weight of polonium is 208.9 Amu
In this isotope 84 proton ,84 electron and 124 neutron is present
- 210Po: atomic weight of this isotope is 209.9 Amu
In this isotope 84 proton ,84 electron and 125 neutron is present. Polonium have 29 radio active isotope
Chemical properties :
Electronic configuration of polonium is [ Xe ] 6s2 4f145d10 6p4
Electronic configuration in concert of shell is 2,8,18,32,18,6
Valency :Valency of polonium is 2
Atomic radius : atomic radius of polonium is 135 Pm
Reactivity : polonium is highly reactive element
- Polonium use in research purpose as an antiseptic devices
- Alpha particles of polonium use to make thin film at stainless steel disc
- Polonium is use as energy source and heat
- It is use to make brushes for removing dust from photographic films
- It is gives thermoelectric power in space satellites
- It is use in cigarette smoke cause cancer
- It is easily eliminate static charge from textile mills
- It is use to make trigger for nuclear weapons
Question and Answer:
Q1. Define Polonium
Q2. Who discovered Polonium?
Q2. Physical properties of Polonium
Q4. Write Atomic Symbol of Polonium.
Q5. Write the Atomic number of Polonium.
Q6. On which block Polonium element is present?
Q7. What is the color of Polonium?
Q8. What is the Boiling point of Polonium?
Q9. What is the Melting point of Polonium?
Q10. Write the Isotopes of Polonium.
Q11. Show Electronic configuration of Polonium.
Q12. Write Electronic Structure of Polonium.
Q13. What is the Valency of Polonium?
Q14. Write the uses of Polonium element.