1) Non metals may be solid, liquids, gases.
Solids- carbon, sulphur, phosphorous,
Gases- oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen.
2) Non metals are soft . But diamond is the hardest natural substances.
3) Non metals do not have lustrous . They do not reflect light . Some have a dull lustre (such as coal) Except iodine and graphite.
4) Non metals are not malleable ( they do not form thin sheet by struck).
5) Non metals are not ductile .( break down when struck and can not form wires).
6) Non metals which are solid and liquid have low melting points.
7) Non metals which are solid and liquid have low boiling point.
8) Non metals are bad conductor of heat.
9) Non metals are bad conductor of electricity such as carbon, sulphur( except graphite. It is good conductor of electricity).
10) Non metals are no non sonorous ( they do not produce sound).
11) They are brittle.
12) They usually have low densities.
1) Name the non metals which occurs in liquid State.
– Bromine is occurs in liquid state
2) Give the name of non metals which are lustrous?
3) Give the some physical properties of non metals?
– Non malleable
Dull in nature
Poor conductor of heat and electricity
4) Which non metal is good conductor of heat and electricity
– Graphite is good conductor of heat and electricity
5) Why non metals are non sonorous
– Because they do not produce the typical metallic sound when they are struck hence they are non sonorous.
6) Give some examples of non metals
– Sulphur, carbon, oxygen, phosphorous
7) Which is the hardest non metal on the earth ?
– Diamond is the hardest non metal
8) Non metals are ——— in nature
9) Which non metals are gaseous in state
– Oxygen , hydrogen and nitrogen are gaseous in state