The decimal numbers or decimals or the set of decimals which are having same number of decimal places are the like decimals.
That means if in a set of decimals, all the decimals are having same number of digits on the right side of decimal point then that set of numbers is called as like decimals.
- The places of the digits after the decimal point are called as decimal places.
- And we can write the whole number in the form of decimal number also.
- For example: 45 is a whole number and we can write as 45.00 in the form of decimal number. Because here if we add number of zeros after decimal point the value of whole number 45 does not changes.
- Let us understand in detail the like decimals by taking examples:
- If we have taken the set of numbers as 3.4, 5.67, 7.8, 9.876, 5.674, 2.34, 4.45, 1.456, 0.789, 0.987, 8.98 etc.
- Now we distribute the numbers according to the number of decimal places after decimal point as below.
- Here, the set-A contains the decimals having only one decimal place and hence set-A is the set of like decimals.
- Next set-B, it also contains the all decimals which are having two decimal places after the decimal point and hence set-B is also the set of like decimals.
- Now set-C, it also contains the all the decimals which are having three decimal places after decimal point and hence the set-C is also the set of like decimals.
- But, here we have to note that, the set-A and set-B together are not the like decimals because they contains different decimal places after decimal point.
- Thus, we define the like decimals as, it is the set of decimals in which all the decimals are having same number of decimal places after the decimal point.
- Now, the set of decimals like 0.2, 5.34, and 6.456 is not the like decimal because each decimal has different number of decimal place values.
- So these set of decimals having different decimal places is called as unlike decimals and they can be converted into like decimals also.
- In case of set of like decimals, the addition and subtraction is easier.
- But in case of set of unlike decimals it’s not easy, so first we convert unlike decimals into like decimals and then we take addition or subtraction of them.