Helium – Learn all details regarding Helium in Periodic Table i.e. Atomic Mass, Number, Physical, Chemical properties, Electronic configuration, Valency, Chemical reaction, Uses
Discovery : helium atom was discovered by William Ramsay, pierren Janssen, Norman Lockyer and pre Teodor cleve in 1895.
Name : the name of helium atom is created from Greek word , ‘helios’ . Meaning of Helios is sun . Helium atom is small size element and have lighter weight. Among all the elements.
Physical properties :
1) Atomic symbol: it is represented by the symbol He
2) Atomic number: atomic no of helium is 2 In helium 2 electron , 2 proton , 2 neutron are present 2 electron and 2 proton are present in helium atom that’s why atomic no of helium atom is 2
3) Atomic mass : atomic weight of helium is 4.0026 (2 proton and 2 neutron are present)
4) Position : it is placed periodic table at the first column and in 2 row
5) Boiling point : it is boil at temperature 4.22 k
6) Melting point : melting point of helium is 0.95 K
7) Colour : it is colour gas
8) Nature : it is found gaseous in nature
9) Taste : it show no test i e. It is restless .
10) Isotopes : helium atom show two stable isotope
Helium 3 : it is called diproton . Having 2 proton and 1 neutron in nucleus.
Atomic mass of helium 3 isotope is 3
It is use in nuclear fusion
Helium 4 : it is primordial helium . Having 2 proton and 2 neutron is present in nucleus Atomic mass of helium 4 isotope is 4.
Helium atom also show six radio active isotopes Radio active isotopes are 5He, 6He , 7He, 8He, 9He 10He .
1) Electronic configuration :
Electronic configuration of helium atom is 1S2
Electronic configuration in concert of shell is 2.
Helium atom have 2 electron . This two electron occupy 1S orbital . Capacity of S orbital occupy only 2 electron .in helium atom S orbital us completely filled .hence helium is called as zero gas elements . It is also called Nobel gas .
2) Oxidation state : helium atom show 0 oxidation state.
3) Valency : helium atom do not show any valency because it do not have any unpaired electron present in atom . Completely filled S orbital present which do not share its electron to other .
4) Radius : 140 picometers
5) Stability : it is chemically stable compound due to completion of octate.
6) Electronic structure :
7) Chemical reaction : helium atom is show completely filled orbital .hence does not react with any other elements.
Uses of helium atom :
1) It is use in arc welding .
2) It is use in balloons
3) Helium oxides mixture use in medical purpose .it use to cure respiratory disease such as asthma , bronchitis other lungs disease.
4) Liquefied helium use to clean rocket fuel tanks
5) Liquid helium use in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
6) It is also used in electronics device . Which as Mobile phone ,computer cable TV
Question and Answer:
Q1. Define Helium
Q2. Who discovered Helium?
Q2. Physical properties of Helium
Q4. Write Atomic Symbol of Helium.
Q5. Write the Atomic number of Helium.
Q6. On which block Helium element is present?
Q7. What is the color of Helium?
Q8. What is the Boiling point of Helium?
Q9. What is the Melting point of Helium?
Q10. Write the Isotopes of Helium.
Q11. Show Electronic configuration of Helium.
Q12. Write Electronic Structure of Helium.
Q13. What is the Valency of Helium?
Q14. Write the uses of Helium element.