Chhattisgarh State Board Class 10 Science Chapter 16 Derivatives of Hydrocarbons Exercise Multiple Choice, Fill in the Blanks, Questions and Answers here.
Chhattisgarh State Class 10 Science Chapter 16 Solution
1) Choose the correct option
(i) When ethanol has 5% water added to it, it is called-
(a) Rectified spirit (b) Methylated spirit
(c) Methanol (d) Absolute alcohol.
Ans: – (a) Rectified spirit.
(ii) Packing gasket is made of
(a) Low density polythene (b) High density polythene
(c) Teflon (d) Polyvinyl chloride.
Ans: – (c) Teflon.
(iii) If sodium carbonate is added to ethanoic acid, a gas is evolved with rapid bubbling.This gas is-
(a) CO (b) CO2
(d) Water vapour.
Ans: – (b) CO2.
(iv) The IUPAC name of acetic acid is-
(a) Ethanoic acid (b) ethanol
(c) Methanol (d) Methanoic acid.
Ans: – (a) Ethanoic acid.
2) What happens when-
(i) Ethanoic acid reacts with sodium.
Ans: – Ethanoic acid after reaction with sodium produce the hydrogen gas and sodium acetate.
CH3COOH + Na –> CH3COONa + H2;
(ii) Ethanol reacts with sodium.
Ans: – Sodium after reaction with ethanol produce sodium ethanoiate and hydrogen gas.
CH3CH2OH + Na –> CH3CH2ONa + H2 ;
3) Complete the following chemical equations:
(i) C2H5COOH + ?–> (C2H5COO) 2Mg + H2.
Ans: – 2C2H5COOH + Mg –> (C2H5COO)2Mg + H2.
(ii) CH3OH + CH3COOH–> ? + H2O.
Ans: – CH3OH + CH3COOH –> CH3COOCH3 + H2O;
(iii) CH3COOH + Na2CO3 –> ? + ? + CO2.
Ans: – CH3COOH + Na2CO3 –> CH3COONa + H2O + CO2;
4) Why is ethanol used in thermometers?
Ans: – The ethanol is used in the thermometer in modern era. There are some benefits as compared to the other substance like mercury is this is not as much toxic to the other and as well as it evaporated completely after any breakages of the thermometer.
5) How is ethene obtained from ethanol?
Ans: – CH3CH2OH —> C2H4 + H2O;
The ethene is obtain from the ethanol by using the catalyst concentrated H2SO4 at high temperature.
6) Write the structures of possible isomers of C5H10O2.
7) How is ethanol manufactured industrially?
8) What is vinegar? How is it manufactured?
Ans: – The vinegar is a solution of acetic acid which is used for food preservation.
The vinegar can be produced by the oxidation of the ethanol. As after the oxidation of ethanol acetic acid is made. Many places the ethanol is fermented by sugar in the presence of east for manufacturing the vinegar.
9) What will be the condensed structure of PVC? Write any four uses of PVC.
There are wide uses of poly vinyl chloride like for making the wire, automobile sector, in building construction, for making medical equipment.
10) Nadira was studying the chemical properties of ethanol and ethanoic acid. To do this, she took ethanoic acid and concentrated sulphuric acid in a test-tube and heated the mixture. While she was carrying out this activity, Meena came and added ethanol to the mixture.When this mixture was added to water, there was a unique odor. Can you tell which chemical reaction took place and write the balanced equation for the reaction.
Ans: – The reaction of the upper experiment will be,
CH2CH3OH + CH3COOH –> CH3COOCH2CH3 + H2O;
So, in that reaction the sulphuric acid works as catalyst as it just speeds up the reaction and the ester are formed. The unique smell is nothing but the odour of the ester.
11) Abraham had two solutions – ethanol and ethanoic acid. He added sodium to both thesolutions and saw that a gas was produced. When a burning matchstick was placed near thegas, a pop sound was heard. Show the reactions through chemical equations.
Ans: – CH3COOH + Na –> CH3COONa + H2;
When a burning matchstick was placed near the gas a pop-up sound was heard it’s nothing the sound of hydrogen gas. As after the reaction of sodium with the ethanol or ethanoic acid the hydrogen gas is produced.
12) Jaspreet has ethanol and ethanoic acids in two separate beakers but she forgot to label them.Help Jaspreet identify which beaker has ethanol and which has ethanoic acid.
Ans: – If we can place a litmus paper in ethanol or in ethanoic acid then we will be able to find the gases. As the blue litmus after came in contact with the ethanoic acid makes the litmus red but the ethanol doesn’t do that so we can easily differentiate these two different solutions.
13) What is a polymer? Explain the polymerization of ethene.
Ans: – The simple compound or monomer after any chemical reaction this simple’s large no of compounds makes a substance of thousands of monomers which is known as the polymer.
nCH2=CH2 –> -(-CH2–CH2-) n–.
14) What is the difference between low density polythene and high-density polythene? Write their used based on their properties.
|Low density polythene||High density polythene|
|Comparatively flexible in nature.||It is rigid in nature.|
|Its melting point is low like 115℃.||Its melting point is high like 135℃.|
|Its molecular structure like branched.||Its molecular structure like liner.|
The high-density polymer is used in different places like for making different product. The household uses equipment sometimes are used. The motor oil made from high density polymer.
15) When a carbon compound, A having molecular weight 46u was oxidized, a carbonic acid B was obtained. Compound A is used a sterilizing agent. Identify A and B and write the balanced chemical equations.
Ans: – The compound A is ethanol. And the compound B will be ethanoic acid. And the reaction of the upper experiment will be
CH3CH2OH + O2 —> CH3COOH + H2O;