a) Reaction with oxygen :
Non metals reacts with oxygen (in air) to form non metallic oxides.
This non metallic oxides are acidic or something neutral in nature.
Carbon is a non metal .
Carbon burns in air ( in the presence of oxygen ) it react with oxygen to form their oxides . That is carbon dioxide. Which is an acidic oxides
These oxides are acidic oxides because they react with water and form acids.
e.g. 1) sulphur burn in air . It is react with oxygen in air and form acidic oxides . It
is called sulphur dioxide.
Sulphur dioxide dissolved in water at room temperature to form sulphurous acid
Sulphurous acid turns blue litmus paper to red colour .it show that acidic nature
of sulphurous acid.
b) Reaction with water :
Non metals do not react with water .
They may be reactive in air .
Hence Non metals stored in water
c) Reaction with acids :
Most of non metals do not react with acids .
Some non metal like sulphur react with acids
Sulphur dissolve in concentrated nitric acid after stirring form a fumes of sulphur dioxide gas, nitrogen dioxide and some moles of water.
d) Reaction with base :
Non metals do not react with bases but some time non metals react with base and
1) Why phosphorous stored in water ?
– Phosphorous is a very reactive non metal. It catches fire if exposed to air .
To prevent the contact of phosphorous with atmospheric oxygen . Hence it is stored in water .
2) What are oxides ? Write the nature of non metallic oxides.
– Oxides is a chemical compound in which at least one oxygen atom and one other element in chemical formula.
The nature of non metallic oxides is acidic .
3) What happens when non metal react with oxygen?
– Non metals form their non metallic oxides when reacts with oxygen
4) Give the name of property due to which non metal stored in water ?
– Non metals do not react with water hence it is stored in water .
5) Fill in the blank
i Phosphorous is very ————- non metals- reactive
ii Non metals reacts with oxygen and form ————— : non metallic oxides
iii. ———- can catch fire when react with oxygen- sulphur
6) Write the difference between metal and non metal with the help of chemical properties
Reaction with oxygen
|Metals react with oxygen to form metallic oxides which are basic in nature . This metallic oxides form base when dissolve in water||
Non metals react with oxygen to form non metallic oxides. Which are acidic in nature. This non metallic oxides form acids when dissolve in water
Reaction with water
|Metals react with water and form their oxides||Non metals do not react with water|
|Reaction with acids||Metals react with acids and produce their salt and evolution of hydrogen gas . Hydrogen gas gives pop sound||
Non metals do not reacts with acids Except sulphur . Which is react with concentrated nitric acids
Reaction with base
|Most of metals do no react with base. But some metals like Al, Zn and Pb react with strong base and form complex||
Non metals do not react with base but some time some complex reaction takes place